This is a great game for improving your skills around the green, and at the end of a pitching & chipping practice session it helps to develop your ability to focus on the task at hand and to perform under pressure – if you miss a few it gets pretty intense!
To score well, you’ll need great imagination, to read and adjust to different lies, and to process all of the available information in order to make the right club and shot selection, pick the best landing spot and then to execute the shot with the chosen trajectory and spin. And with this game, you have to finish off by making a pressure putt!
How to Play
To play the Up and Down pitching & chipping game, do the following:
- The aim of the game is to get three balls in a row up and down from around the green.
- Play pitch & chip shots to a variety of pins on the practice green, each one from a different distance (from 10 to 30 yards – 9 to 27m) and different approach angles.
- You must finish each hole before moving onto the next.
- Work your way around the green, dropping balls in a variety of lies, and then play them as they lie.
- Try to find a variety of slopes and lies: upslope, down slope, and side-hill lies; fairway, semi and thicker rough.
- On each hole, play alternately easy, medium, and difficult pitch & chip shots.
- Don’t Cheat! There’s no such thing as a gimme in this game – every putt counts!
- Win your way off the practice green by getting up and down three times in a row. Set yourself a time limit of 15 minutes.
It is important that you perform your full pre- and post-shot routine for every pitch. Read the lie for each shot, and carefully determine the required club, trajectory and landing spot. Take your time to visualise the shot, try the right amount and react to the target. Use your post-shot routine to actively build your self-image and learn from your mistakes.
When playing this game, you should be paying full attention and trying your best to make every shot.
Always record your score (the total number of attempts it took you to make three in a row) in your practice session log, and try to beat your best score each time you play this game. The competitive edge is crucial.
After you play, take the time to make notes in your practice session log on any mistakes or shots that you particularly struggled with. Think about what you can do to improve before the next time you play.
This game forms part of the Golf Loopy Pitch & Chip like a Champion series, the sensational new pitching and chipping game improvement system that will help you to improve every aspect of your performance around the greens. The improvements will be dramatic, and they will be permanent.