The Airplane Exercise is a great way to improve your mobility and balance, for better ball striking and a more graceful and consistent golf swing.
The Airplane Exercise forms part of the Golf Balance series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will develop your balance and body awareness for improved consistency and ball-striking from any lie, and for a more efficient golf swing, enabling you to generate more power while maintaining a solid base of support.
- Start by standing in perfect posture, your knees unlocked, your arms at your sides, and your shoulder blades back and down.
- Hinge at the hips as you lift your one leg off the ground behind you, and raise your arms out to your sides.
- Slowly rotate your torso to the left and then to the right.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Repeat standing on the other leg.
Keep your arms out in a “T” position and rotate through your torso.
Keep your chest up and back straight throughout.
You should feel your standing foot and lower leg working to keep your balance.
For more of a challenge, try performing this exercise with your eyes closed.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
The Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.