The Opposite Arm and Leg Raise Exercise is a great way to develop and maintain mobility and stability in your hips, shoulders and core, for a more efficient golf swing and to help to prevent injury.
The Opposite Arm and Leg Raise Exercise forms part of the Golf Injury Prevention series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will help to protect you from pain and injury by building strength and stability around your most vulnerable areas, while improving mobility, balance and joint function.
Figure 1. Opposite Arm and Leg Raise Exercise Video.
- Start on your hands and knees, with your abdominal muscles engaged, your hands directly beneath your shoulders, and your shoulders pushed away from floor.
- Simultaneously lift your left arm up straight in front of you, and extend your right leg into the air behind you, until they are both parallel to the ground.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat with your right arm and left leg.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions on each side.
Try not to allow any movement through your torso during this exercise. Keep your abdominal muscles engaged to stabilise your spine.
You should feel it working your shoulders, back, core and hips.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific injury prevention exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.