The Band Lift (Split Squat) Exercise is a great way to build strength and stability in your hips, obliques, upper back, chest and shoulders.
The Band Lift (Split Squat) Exercise forms part of the Golf Strength and Endurance series of innovative and dynamic exercises that are designed to efficiently increase your stabilising strength – supporting proper body alignment, movement patterns, and energy transfer within the golf swing, and helping to prevent injuries.
This exercise requires a resistance band or tubing. Alternatively, you could use a cable machine.
- Start by standing in a split stance, your left foot forwards, and holding a resistance band with both hands that is anchored to the ground on your right.
- Bend your left knee to lower your hips towards the floor. This is the starting position.
- Rotate your shoulders to the right.
- Pull the band to your chest and then push it up and away to your left as you rotate your chest to the left.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Switch sides and repeat (with the band anchored above you and to your left).
Keep your chest up, your shoulder blades pulled back and down, and your abdominal muscles engaged throughout.
Contract your back glutes for stability.
You should feel it working your shoulders, chest, upper back, obliques, hips and legs.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific strength and endurance exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.