The Band Shoulder Retraction and Depression Exercise is a great way to build stabilising strength and mobility in your shoulders.
The Band Shoulder Retraction and Depression Exercise forms part of the Golf Stability series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will build stability in your joints and core for better consistency and ball-striking.
This exercise requires a resistance band or tubing. Alternatively, you could use a cable machine.
- Start by standing, your knees slightly bent, holding a resistance band in your left hand that is anchored above you to your right.
- Keeping your left arm straight, pull your left hand down and across your body as you pull your left shoulder blade back (towards your spine) and down (away from your ear).
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Repeat on the other side.
Keep your working arm straight throughout the movement.
Try not to move any part of your body except the arm and shoulder blade that is working.
Keep your back flat, your non-working shoulder blade pulled back and down, and your abdominal muscles engaged throughout.
You should feel it working your upper back and shoulders as you fight to keep your torso stable with your obliques.
There are a number of other shoulder blade mobility and stability exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System, you can see them all by clicking here.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific stability exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.