The Curl to Press (Scissor Stance, Alternating) Exercise is a challenging movement that will develop and improve your hip and core stability while working your biceps and shoulders.
The Curl to Press (Scissor Stance, Alternating) Exercise forms part of the Golf Strength and Endurance series of innovative and dynamic exercises that are designed to efficiently increase your stabilising strength – supporting proper body alignment, movement patterns, and energy transfer within the golf swing, and helping to prevent injuries.
This exercise requires a pair of dumbbells.
This is dedicated strength exercise, so choose a weight that is heavy enough to make the movement challenging, but enables you to complete all of your repetitions (reps) with proper form. The last couple of reps should be very difficult, but make sure that you can perform them properly.
If you are performing this exercise as part of a Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System programme workout, you should be able to complete the prescribed number of reps in the allotted time with proper form – adjust your tempo accordingly.
See How Much Weight Should I Lift? for more information.
- Start in a split stance, with one foot in front of the other and your knees slightly bent, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Curl both dumbbells to your shoulders, this is the starting position.
- In one fluid movement, press your right hand over your head as you lower your left hand.
- Simultaneously lower your right hand as you curl and press your left hand, so that your hands pass in front of your torso.
- Repeat, your right hand going up as your left hand come down. That’s one repetition (rep).
- Perform the desired number of repetitions.
- Switch legs and repeat.
Keep your abdominal muscles engaged, your back flat, and your shoulder blades pulled back and down.
Contract your back glutes for stability.
You should feel it working your biceps, shoulders, hips and core.
There are a number of other shoulder press exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System that offer a variety of challenges, you can see them all by clicking here.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific strength and endurance exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.