The Shoulder External Rotation (Band) Exercise is a great way to develop and maintain mobility and stability in your rotator cuff, for a more efficient golf swing and to help to prevent injury.
The Shoulder External Rotation (Band) Exercise forms part of the Golf Injury Prevention series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will help to protect you from pain and injury by building strength and stability around your most vulnerable areas, while improving mobility, balance and joint function.
This exercise requires a resistance band or tubing. Alternatively, you could use a cable machine.
Figure 1. Shoulder External Rotational (Band) Exercise Video.
- Start by standing tall in perfect posture, your knees slightly bent, feet shoulder-width apart, and holding a resistance band with your left hand that is anchored at about waist-height to your right. Bend your left arm 90 degrees at the elbow, with your upper arm at your side.
- Without moving your elbow, slowly pull your hand to your left.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Switch sides and repeat (with the band anchored to your left).
Try to keep your elbow completely still, and don’t let it straighten as you pull on the band.
Keep your chest up, your shoulder blades pulled back and down, and your abdominal muscles engaged throughout.
You should feel it working the back of your shoulder.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific injury prevention exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
Internal and External Rotation.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.