The Stir the Pot on an Exercise Ball is a challenging variation on a classic movement that will build strength and stability in your core, the foundation of stable and efficient movement in the golf swing.
The Stir the Pot on an Exercise Ball forms part of the Golf Stability series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will build stability in your joints and core for better consistency and ball-striking.
This exercise requires an exercise ball, often referred to as a Swiss ball, and also known as a balance ball, fitness ball, gym ball, stability ball, physioball, Swedish ball, therapy ball, or yoga ball.
Figure 1. Stir the Pot on an Exercise Ball Video.
- Start by kneeling with your elbows and forearms on an exercise ball.
- Engage your core muscles and lift your knees off the floor, then step back until your body forms a straight line from your ears to your ankles, your torso and legs rigid, your elbows close to your sides and directly under your shoulders, and your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Continue to breathe, keeping your abdominals strong and your body in a straight line, as you move your elbows in a circular motion.
- Continue for the desired amount of time.
- Keep your torso stiff as you slowly and gently lower your body back to the floor.
Do not allow any sagging in your ribcage or lower back. Avoid hiking your hips into the air or bending your knees as you hold the plank position. Keep your shoulders away from your ears (no shrugging).
Keep your torso solid, your abdominal muscles engaged, and your hips square to the ground throughout this movement.
You should feel it working your shoulders and torso as you fight to maintain your balance.
If you experience any pain in the lower back with this movement, stop the exercise immediately and consult with your doctor.
The closer that your feet are together, the more challenging this movement becomes.
There are a number of other variations on the classic plank exercise in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System, which you can view by clicking here.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific stability exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.