The Forward Lunge Elbow to Instep Exercise is the best stretch for golfers. It stretches your groin, hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings and lower legs. If you only perform one warm up exercise before you play golf or hit the practice range, this should be the one.
The Forward Lunge Elbow to Instep Exercise forms part of the Golf Movement Preparation series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will increase your core temperature, prepare your nervous system for performing the golf swing, and strengthen your body.
The Forward Lunge Elbow to Instep Exercise is a component of the Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
- Start by standing tall with your feet slightly apart, engage your abdominal muscles to stabilise your spine.
- Step forwards into a lunge with your left foot, keeping your right leg as straight as you can, activating your right glutes.
- Place your right hand on the ground for stability, keeping your back straight so that you your body forms a straight line from your head to your heel.
- Rotate your trunk to the left, reaching for the sky with your left hand, as high as you can. Feel the stretch through your torso, hips and your back leg hip flexor, hold for one deep breath, in and out.
- Rotate your trunk back down and push your left elbow deep down to the instep of your left foot as you exhale. Feel the stretch through your groin, lower back and back leg, hold for one deep breath, in and out.
- Place your left hand on the ground, outside of your left foot, and push your hips to the sky, keeping your back and your right leg straight, and pulling the toes of your left foot up towards your shin. Feel the stretch through your hamstrings, and hold for one deep breath, in and out.
- Drop your hips back down, raise your torso into good posture, as tall as you can, and push back up with your right glutes to a standing position.
- Repeat with your right leg and arm.
This is a complex movement, but it’s well worth the practice to get it perfect.
Perform this exercise for 60 seconds as part of the Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up routine.
You will feel like you’re having a mini-workout, raising your body temperature and breaking into a light sweat. If you’re not familiar with a dynamic warm up before you play golf, this may feel a little strenuous at first. Stick with it, your body will quickly condition itself to these exercises, and the benefits to your play will be significant. When you’re done, you will feel warmed up, rather than worn down. You’ll be better prepared to perform at your best, whether on the course or on the practice range.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
The Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.