The Reverse Lunge and Lateral Flexion Exercise is a great way to stretch your hip flexors, glutes and lats, while improving mobility in your torso.
The Reverse Lunge and Lateral Flexion Exercise forms part of the Golf Stability series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will build stability in your joints and core for better consistency and ball-striking.
Figure 1. Reverse Lunge and Lateral Flexion Exercise Video.
- Start by standing tall, in perfect posture, with your arms by your sides.
- Step backwards with your right leg into a lunge – bending your left knee and dropping your right knee to just above the ground.
- Contract your right glutes, reach your right hand over your head and then laterally crunch your torso to the left, reaching your right hand over to the left.
- Relax and straighten your torso, then exhale and push up firmly with your left leg to return to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement on your other side.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions on each side.
Try to maintain perfect posture throughout the exercise – your chin up, chest up, your abdominal muscles engaged to stabilise your spine, and your shoulder blades back and down.
Do not let your squatting knee slide over your toes or collapse to the inside – your front thigh should be parallel with the floor with your shinbone in a slight forwards lean and your knee aligned with the second toe of your foot. Do not let your back knee touch the floor.
Contract the glutes of your back leg as you squat.
You should feel it stretching the hip flexors of your back leg and working the glutes of your front leg, then a stretch in the side of your torso as you reach across.
There are a number of other lunge exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System that offer a variety of challenges, you can see them all by clicking here.
The exercise involves mainly your gluteus maximus, quadriceps, latissimus dorsi, and your internal and external obliques, and to a lesser extent your gluteus medius, psoas major, and hamstrings.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific stability exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.