The Shoulder Stretch Exercise is a great stretch that will prepare the muscles and tendons of your shoulders before you play golf, hit the practice range, or undertake other physical exercise. It can also be performed after playing golf to maintain mobility, alleviate soreness and make your muscles feel better.
The Shoulder Stretch Exercise forms part of the Golf Recovery & Regeneration series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will help to improve the health and quality of your muscle tissues and joints, helping you to perform better on and off the course.
The Shoulder Stretch Exercise is a component of the Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
Figure 1. Shoulder Stretch Exercise Video.
- Start by standing tall in good posture, your abdominal muscles engaged and your chest up.
- Hold a golf club straight out in front of your chest, with one palm facing up and one palm facing down.
- Keeping your arms straight, rotate your arms, moving the palm facing up upwards, so that they cross over one another and your palms face in the opposite direction.
- Hold for 1 deep breath, in and out, and allow the tension to release.
- Reverse the rotation to return to the starting position.
Complete the set on one side before reversing your grip with both hands and repeating in the opposite direction.
The wider apart on the golf club your hands are, the deeper the stretch.
Perform this exercise for 30 seconds as part of the Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up routine.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific recovery and regeneration exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
The Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.