The Shoulder and Triceps Stretch Exercise is a great stretch that will elongate your triceps and rotator cuff muscles, preparing them to play golf and helping to prevent injury in these vulnerable areas. Perform this exercise before you play golf, hit the practice range, or undertake other physical exercise. It can also be performed after playing golf to maintain mobility, alleviate soreness and make your muscles feel better.
The Shoulder and Triceps Stretch Exercise forms part of the Golf Recovery & Regeneration series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will help to improve the health and quality of your muscle tissues and joints, helping you to perform better on and off the course.
The Shoulder and Triceps Stretch Exercise is a component of the Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
Figure 1. Shoulder and Triceps Stretch Exercise Video.
- Start by standing tall in good posture, your abdominal muscles engaged and your chest up.
- Hold a golf club vertically behind your back, with your right hand over your left, an overhand grip with your right hand, underhand with your left.
- Reach down and back with your right hand, as far as you can, then give gentle assistance by pulling down with your left hand, exhale and hold the stretch for 1 deep breath, in and out, and allow the tension to release.
- Now reach up and back with your left hand, as far as you can, then give gentle assistance by pulling up with your right hand, exhale and hold the stretch for 1 deep breath, in and out, and allow the tension to release.
- Complete the desired number of repetitions before switching hands and repeating.
You will feel a stretch through the triceps of the top arm and the shoulder of the bottom arm.
Maintain perfect posture, keeping your abdominal muscles engaged throughout.
The narrower apart on the golf club your hands are, the deeper the stretch.
Perform this exercise for 30 seconds as part of the Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up routine.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific recovery and regeneration exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
The Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.
» Train like a Champion home page.