The Ws Exercise is a great dynamic stretch that will prepare the muscles of your upper back and the external rotator muscles of your shoulders before you play golf, hit the practice range, or undertake other physical exercise.
The Ws Exercise forms part of the Golf Injury Prevention series of innovative and dynamic exercises that will help to protect you from pain and injury by building strength and stability around your most vulnerable areas, while improving mobility, balance and joint function.
The Ws Exercise is a component of the Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
Figure 1. Ws Exercise Video.
- Start by standing hinged at your hips at about 45 degrees, with your knees bent, your back flat, your abdominal muscles engaged and your chest up.
- Squeeze your elbows in toward your ribs.
- Slowly rotate your thumbs back toward the ceiling, squeezing your shoulder blades back and down, to form a W shape with your arms.
- Continue to rotate your hands back as far as possible, keeping your elbows at your sides.
- Hold for one deep breath, in and out.
- Slowly return to the starting position and repeat.
Initiate the movement with your shoulder blades, not your arms. Keep your thumbs pointing up and your back flat throughout.
You should feel a stretch through your shoulders, upper and lower back.
Perform this exercise for 30 seconds as part of the Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up routine.
If you have any questions or comments about this or other articles on Golf Loopy, please send us an email.
You May Also Like…
Golf Performance Programmes – the most effective golf-specific fitness regimens on the planet, guaranteed to make you a better golfer!
There are a number of other golf-specific injury prevention exercises in the Golf Loopy Train like a Champion System.
The Golf Loopy Perfect Warm Up, an exercise routine that has been scientifically designed to prepare your mind and body for playing golf to the best of your ability in just 7 minutes.
Introduction to the Swing like a Champion System.
Golf Anatomy and Kinesiology, a collection of articles describing the roles of the muscles involved in the golf swing.